August 2, 2011
Posted by on
I stopped using Liferea after years and years of almost complete satisfaction, mostly because the SQLite storage it’s a little bit clumsy and I started to get annoyed by the HDD making noise every RSS update (and the UI freezes, and it uses lots of CPU, etc).
So I decided to give Google Reader a try, and it’s not even close to Liferea’s experience. Actually it looks to me like it’s a good interface to scan through the information instead of a good interface for reading.
The web interface it’s not as fast and responsive as the native interface, and it even forced me to change the way I read my feeds, to the point that I’ve found that I check for new content less often and it seems to be very difficult not having about 500 unread entries (that can happen with Liferea too, but it was in the 100 magnitude).
The interesting side effect is that I’m doing other things, which I’m not sure that are more productive, but Google Reader it’s definitely not useful to get yourself up to date with your feeds. May be it’s better that way.